Frederick W. Redington and William H. Sanford, Jr. found Sanford Manufacturing Company in Worcester, Massachusetts. The company focuses on producing and selling ink and glue.
The company expands and relocates to Chicago.
After narrowly escaping the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, Sanford's original factory succumbs this time to yet another disastrous fire. By 1900 Sanford has rebuilt its headquarters in downtown Chicago.