How many colors do Sharpie markers come in?
Sharpie currently offers 49 unique, vibrant colors.
- The Fine Point is available in 41 colors, 5 Neon Colors and 3 Metallic Colors
- Ultra-Fine is available in 42 colors
- Twin Tip is available in 20 colors
- Retractable is available in 12 colors
- Mini is available in 8 colors
- Chisel Tip is available in 8 colors
- Super Sharpie is available in 4 colors
- Super Sharpie Twin Tip and the Professional are available in 3 colors
- Industrial is available in 1 color
How can I buy just one individual color?
Many of our products can be bought individually online or at your local retail or art & crafts store. Please contact Newell Brands Consumer Affairs for more information at 800-346-3278.
How can I buy all of the available Sharpie colors?
We now offer our Sharpie Ultimate Collection which has 115 markers including Fine, Ultra Fine, Twin Tip, Chisel, Neon, and Metallic.
How do I remove a permanent marker stain?
The successful removal of ink stains differs from case to case because of the many types of fabrics, colors, inks and time elapsed before stain removal. We cannot guarantee stain removal since many variables can be involved. Testing first is always recommended as well as following both the stain remover and clothing manufacturer's instructions. Following these steps should result in partial or complete removal. General Rules:
- Treat stains as soon as possible. Fresh stains can be removed more easily than old ones.
- Check manufacturer's labels as to fabric content and any special instructions.
- Always test stain removal solution first on a hidden part of the article or on swatch of fabric taken from seam allowance to insure no color loss or damage will occur.
- Where possible, lay stained article face down on paper towels or clean white cloth and apply stain removal solution to underside of stain so that stain can be removed from the surface instead of pushing it through the fabric. Replace towels or cloth as they absorb stain to prevent stain transfer.
- If enlisting the aid of a professional laundry or dry cleaner, be sure to indicate what the stain is and the type of fabric.
- Do not iron stained garments or put in dryer as this may set stain.
You can also try AMODEX STAIN REMOVER for permanent ink: www.amodexink.com
Where can I buy my favorite Sharpie?
You can purchase your favorite Sharpie products at your local office superstore, retail store, drug stores and through your favorite online retailer sites.
What is the proper way to use a Sharpie Paint or Poster-Paint product?
Before using the marker for the first time:
- With marker in tip up position and cap off, depress tip with finger. This will relieve any pressure.
- Recap. Shake well to mix paint.
- Take cap off. Depress point several times on surface to saturate tip with paint.
- Repeat as necessary to keep paint flowing.
Where can I find information on customizing Sharpie permanent markers?
If you are interested in customizing Sharpie permanent markers please call 800-356-9466 or visit our website at www.sanfordb2b.com.
Why isn't the Sharpie marker available in white?
A white marker requires a pigmented, rather than a dye base ink, to achieve the required opacity. With the ink technology available, we have been unable to manufacture a marker or pen that will uniformly lay down white ink. In the future, however, as new ink technology develops, it is quite possible we will be able to make a pigmented white ink marker. Until then we suggest trying Newell Brands white Sharpie Paint or Poster-Paint marker. It is a valve action marker, which requires a pumping action.
There are several different styles of Sharpie markers. Is the ink the same in each of the different styles?
The black ink in the Fine, Ultra-Fine, Twin Tip, Chisel, Retractable, Mini and Super is permanent ink. The principle solvents are alcohols, but they also contain ethylene glycol monobutyl ether. All other Sharpie ink colors are Permchrome ink. For these the principle solvents are also alcohols, but no glycol ethers are used.
What makes a marker permanent?
A marker can be classified as a permanent marker if it:
- Adheres to most surfaces and/or is water resistant.
- Uses dyes or pigments
The dyes or pigments used, which give the ink color (colorants), determine how well a marking will resist fading and the combination of ingredients used in the ink formulation gives the ink permanent properties.
How long does a permanent marker last?
We do not have a mathematical formula to figure how long a permanent marker will "last." With outdoor exposure on a nonporous surface, the marks from a dye base marker will be gone in perhaps three to four months. With indoor exposure on a porous surface, like artist canvas or paper, we would expect marks from a dye base marker to last several years.
Resins or surfactants give the ink the ability to adhere to various surfaces. Thus, we have markers for non-porous and glossy surfaces, markers for oily or wet surfaces and markers that can withstand extreme heat
Can I use Sharpie markers for marking on glass, baking, or ceramic dishware?
While Sharpie markers are AP-certified non-toxic, we do not recommend using them on areas of items that may come in contact with food or the mouth. Sharpie has not been tested as an oven proof product and should not be used anywhere where a consumer could possibly ingest the ink. Sharpie markers are only recommended for use on ceramic or glassware when the product is being used for decorative or display purposes.
I've purchased an Accent dry highlighter (a.k.a. Bible highlighter) in the past, but I can't find it now.
Unfortunately, we do not make these highlighters anymore. We would recommend trying the Sharpie Gel Highlighters because they tend not to bleed through thinner paper.
I highlight text on memos and post on a bulletin board, and within a short time the color fades from the paper.
Dye base highlighters will fade faster than pigment base highlighters, especially when exposed to direct sunlight or florescent light. Sharpie Liquid Highlighters are pigment based and therefore resist fading.
How do I prevent the ink from smearing when I use my highlighter over a document?
We recommend using one of our products that features Smear Guard® ink (Pocket, Tank, Retractable, Gel, and Clear View). For total smear protection, try Sharpie Gel Highlighter.
How many colors do the Sharpie Pens come in?
Sharpie Art Pen comes in 21 bold colors that do not bleed through the paper! You can find these pens in a re-usable hard case, perfect for on-the-go and desk storage.
Is the Stainless Steel Sharpie Pen refillable?
Yes, the item number for the refill is 1800730.
How to request obsolete items?
If you can’t find one of your favorite Sharpie items from the past, it has most likely been discontinued due to an improvement replacement. Check out our up-to-date product page for the latest Sharpie products!